Thursday, January 31, 2013

2013 Fear Avoidance List Accomplishment 2: Filet Crochet

I did it. I completed another project on my fear avoidance list for 2013. This time in the form of a Filet Crochet project although I didn't choose white or off white for this particular project as I went with what I had on hand. 

Filet Crochet didn't have the fear associated with it like the Granny Squares did. It was more of a lack of confidence that comes from being told your too dumb and clumsy to be able to do something so fine and delicate. I knew lots of people who did this type of crochet. I had a Great Aunt who made table runners and alter cloths for churches in this style and another Great Aunt who was well known for her delicate curtains, table cloths, bed spreads and wall hangings. Then there were the adopted grandmother type women in my life also did this delicate dainty bits of work and sold their pieces for good money a couple of different examples were christening gowns and wedding and birth samplers.. They put hours and hours into their pieces and liked to talk about these projects with lots of pride when custom orders were made especially if it involved a church or confirmation, baptism, and wedding type event.  Their speed and reputation intimidated me. I felt a pressure that if I got into this type of crocheting that I'd have to be just as good if not better than they were. Something that my mother and step-father weren't shy about implying and talking about. My mother didn't even attempt it because of the pressure she felt from her husband. That didn't exactly make me feel like it was possible for me to do it at the time.

Those that I knew who made such lovely pieces are all gone now. The opportunity for me to learn from them especially after I gained experience and confidence in crocheting was lost. Some of the pieces I have that were made for me or given to me are starting to show their age and disintegrate and/or need a bit of repair. I haven't been able to find anyone who knows how to do this type of crochet and would be willing to recreate these pieces or attempt to repair them.

Because of my success with the Granny square I thought I would try my hand at Filet Crochet. I chose this praying hands piece to do because it was the pattern I recall hearing my mentors say was the easiest to create. It also is something that I saw them do both for income and for self satisfaction. I'm glad that I did it. While the actual crochet part of this piece is done, it's not totally finished. Besides running in my tail, I have to block this piece and starch it.

It feels amazing to have completed this piece also. I actually found this type of crocheting to be rather enjoyable and I hope to be able to do another piece soon. I do find myself wishing that I hadn't waited so long to attempt it because I have a few questions about tension and blocking that I wish I could ask my Great Aunts about instead of learning it through trial and error. I have peace with the timing though and amazed at how quickly I was  able to get it done and well how good it looks even in the rough fresh off the hook. Maybe Grandma Ethel was right and its in my blood after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment