Monday, March 18, 2013

World Folktales Week


 As a child I loved listening to the Folktales that the elders would tell at various events and gatherings. It left me with an interesting take on Loki that didn't quite line up with what has been portrayed in movies of late. Granted many of the tales I was told were probably edited or lost something in translation. It left me with an odd appreciation and a bit of fear of coyotes. Action, love, drama, excitement, adventure, suspense, and some valuable lesson was always shared when the elders recited their tales. I am amazed by how much I learned from them as it wasn't apparent at the time.
Even when I couldn't hear the elders tell their tales, I still sought out ways to enjoy them. One of the highlights of the weekly trip to the library was getting to check out folktales from other places. It's something that makes me sad that my children aren't able to hear the elders tell the tales like I did. However, I am thankful that many of the tales are in print so I can share them with my children. I think when we go to the library we'll try to find a book or two of folktales to enjoy this week.

If you had a favorite folktale what is it?


No comments:

Post a Comment